Street Outreach Worker Job Posting:
St. Francis Center seeks a Street Outreach Worker to provide comprehensive outreach services to community members experiencing homelessness. Services include crises intervention, provision of basic needs, access to emergency shelter, transportation, client advocacy, service linkage, and much more. This staff member will be able to provide strengths based case management to individuals who are seeking permanent housing while problem solving potential barriers. They will also be able to complete relevant housing applications and program surveys with clients, plus be part of a faith-based agency whose mission is to serve those experiencing homelessness during the daytime hours. This position works under a larger street outreach collaborative that coordinates supportive services and housing placement for persons who are homeless on the streets or within the shelter systems.
Education and Work Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in human services, social work, psychology, or related field preferred, but not required.
- Two years’ experience with homeless population, or two years in a related direct service field working with underserved populations. Also, a strong desire to remain working with this population for a period of time. Experience with adults desired.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience, competence and sensitivity in working with persons who are homeless, especially those who have difficulty engaging in treatment, suffer from mental illness substance addiction or are otherwise impaired.
- Skill in oral and written communication: organizing / tracking client data, updating client database, and tracking job measurements daily and monthly.
- Skill in negotiating and mediating, particularly in sensitive situations.
- Able to communicate effectively with a diverse population.
- Able to make sound decisions using available information while maintaining appropriate confidentiality.
- Able to function as a member of an interdisciplinary team and work with collaborating agencies.
- Able to manage tasks and activities in an environment that sometimes includes interpersonal conflict and chaos.
- Skill in operating office equipment, such as computers, software (e.g., Microsoft Word, Excel, e-mail) and smart-phones.
- Able to work flexible hours which may include a combination of early mornings, late evenings and some weekends.
- Able to pass automobile insurance carrier’s motor vehicle record investigation.
- Ability to maintain a Colorado Driver’s License in good standing.
- Able to work in diverse settings with diverse populations.
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus but not required.
- Able to read computer screens and printed documents.
- Able to communicate well with employees and clients.
- Able to write, type, and use cell phones.
- Ability to engage with clients on streets, under bridges, in homeless camps, in jail, in hospital and other outreach locations.
- Able to be on feet and mobile up to 10 hours per day.
- Able to lift 50 lbs. sometimes and 20 lbs. often.
Street Outreach Workers primarily work outside of the office on the streets and / or in a vehicle. The work week schedule covers four 10-hour shifts, between 7 a.m. and 9 p.m., during the week. It also requires a combination of day and evening shifts, including occasional Saturdays.
This is a full time non-exempt position with benefits package including sick / vacation leave, employer-paid health and dental insurance, life insurance and retirement plan.
To Apply: Qualified persons may apply by sending a cover letter and resume to Jim B. in Outreach. Your cover letter should explain how the position fits into your professional goals. Resumes without a cover letter will not be considered. Invitations for interviews will be extended upon review of qualified candidates until the position is filled.
On the e-mail subject line, please write “Outreach Worker opening”
St. Francis Center is an Equal Opportunity employer
St. Francis Center is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy. St. Francis is an equal opportunity employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action.