Position: Basic Services Staff
This day services staff person will be a member of the Basic Services Team, working primarily at our day center facility, which offers daytime emergency shelter and services for people in metro Denver who are experiencing homelessness. The purpose of the Basic Services Team is to create a community at our day center that is safe, peaceful and clean, where our clients are valued, respected, and treated fairly. The team member will provide a leadership role for clients of the shelter, volunteers and other staff in making St. Francis Center a place of peace.
This is a full-time, non-exempt position, 40 hrs/week. Schedule will include one weekend day per week. Position includes paid-time-off benefits, and fully covered employee health and dental insurance. Basic life insurance and 403(b) pension plan are also available after 1 year of employment. Salary starts at $15/hr.
- Greet clients of the day center as they enter the building (must ascertain whether client is appropriate to enter the facility)
- Provide relevant information and referral
- Provide/monitor direct services (showers, clothing room, storage and mail)
- Schedule and oversee the activities of team members, volunteers and clients on a rotating basis
- Uphold rules/standards that govern shelter activity
- Participate in all team and staff meetings
- Other tasks, as needed
- Ability to communicate effectively and respectfully with clients and staff
- Ability to de-escalate and work with people in crisis
- Experience working in a shelter setting
- Experience working with people who have mental health and/or addiction challenges
- Computer literacy
Fluency in Spanish and English is a plus but not required.
Qualified persons may apply by sending a cover letter, résumé, and three professional references to email@example.com. Résumés without a cover letter will not be considered. Invitations for interviews will be extended upon review of qualified candidates.
Position: Street Outreach Worker Job Announcement:
St. Francis Center seeks a Street Outreach Worker to provide comprehensive outreach services to community members experiencing homelessness. Services include crises intervention, provision of basic needs, accessing emergency overnight shelter, transportation, client advocacy, service linkage, and much more. This staff member will be able to provide strengths based case management to individuals who are seeking permanent housing while problem solving potential barriers. They will also be able to complete relevant housing applications and program surveys with clients, and be part of a faith-based agency whose mission is to serve those experiencing homelessness during the daytime hours. This position works as part of a larger street outreach collaborative that coordinates supportive services and housing placement for persons who are homeless on the streets or within the shelter systems.
Education and Work Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in human services, social work, psychology, or related field preferred but not required.
- Experience working with homeless adult populations preferred, along with a strong desire to remain working with this population.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience, competence and sensitivity in working with persons who are homeless, especially those who have difficulty engaging in treatment, suffer from mental illness substance addiction or are otherwise impaired.
- Skill in oral and written communication: organizing / tracking client data, updating client database, and tracking job measurements daily and monthly.
- Skill in negotiating and mediating, particularly in sensitive situations.
- Able to communicate effectively with a diverse population.
- Able to make sound decisions using available information while maintaining appropriate confidentiality.
- Able to function as a member of an interdisciplinary team and work with collaborating agencies.
- Able to manage tasks and activities in an environment that sometimes includes interpersonal conflict and chaos.
- Skill in operating office equipment, such as computers, software (e.g., Microsoft Word, Excel, e-mail) and smart-phones.
- Able to work flexible hours which may include a combination of early mornings, late evenings and some weekends.
- Able to pass automobile insurance carrier’s motor vehicle record investigation.
- In possession of a Colorado Driver’s License in good standing.
- Able to work in diverse settings with diverse populations.
- Fluency in Spanish a plus but not required.
- Able to read computer screens and printed documents.
- Able to communicate well with employees and clients.
- Able to write, type, and use cell phones.
- Ability to engage with clients on streets, under bridges, in homeless camps, in jail, in hospital and other outreach locations.
- Able to be on feet and mobile up to 10 hours per day.
- Able to lift 50 lbs. sometimes and 20 lbs. often.
Street outreach workers primarily work on the streets and / or driving around in a vehicle. The work week schedule covers four 10-hour shifts, varying between 7 a.m. and 9 p.m., during the week. It also requires a combination of day and evening shifts, including occasional Saturdays.
This is a full time non-exempt position with generous benefits package including sick / vacation leave, employer-paid health and dental insurance, life insurance and retirement plan.
To Apply: Qualified persons may apply by sending a cover letter and resume to Jim B. at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your cover letter should explain how the position fits into your professional goals. Resumes without a cover letter will not be considered. Invitations for interviews will be extended upon review of qualified candidates until the position is filled.
St. Francis Center is an Equal Opportunity employer.
St. Francis Center is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy. St. Francis is an equal opportunity employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action.